Global Learning in the Volkshochschule
The project: “Global Learning in the Volkshochschule”
- is supported professionally and financially by the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ),
- is an integral part of the work of the Institute for International Cooperation of the German Adult Education Association (IIZ/DVV),
- is addressed to the 1000 and more German adult education centres (Volkshochschulen) and their Land associations,
- aims to promote development education and global learning in Volkshochschulen.
The project offers
- advice and assistance with planning and running courses on development, and exchange of information,
- materials on development education / global learning,
- support for training multipliers at Volkshochschulen and Land associations in development.
Development education has undergone a change in the way in which it is perceived in recent years, towards what can be described as “global learning”.
Elements of global learning are:
- its guiding image
sustainable and fair development, as set out in the Agenda 21 at the United Nations Conference on the Environment and Development held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992,
- its human ideal
the ability to act politically, self-determination and the capacity for self-organization, as prerequisites for personal and social development,
- its object
sustainable social and economic development at a global and local level,
- its method
holistic, participatory lifelong learning,
- its learning objectives
- respect for other cultures, lifestyles and world views,
- reflection on one’s own position,
- the motivation and ability to find sustainable and fair solutions to common problems.
In addition to professional advice, this project can also provide support with the costs of speakers for training multipliers in development.
Please send an application to the IIZ/DVV containing the following information (there is no application form):
- title, time and place of the training course
- complete description of development content
- number of teaching units / per day
- calculation of cost of speaker (fee, travel costs and accommodation)
There are no deadlines for applications, which will be processed quickly and unbureaucratically.
We also call your attention to the BMZ’s “Action Group Programme”, under which you can apply for a grant of up to DM 1000 (up to 500 euros from 2002) for a one-off development course.
Please ask us for further information.